Thursday 24 May 2012

Things That Make Me Go Mmmmmm...

So...the sun has got its hat on over the last few days and everywhere there are Birkenstocks (hurrah) and sadly there are also Crocs, so we can't have everything.  We also have the deeply unpleasant short-sleeved man's summer work shirt which makes a bloke look like he should be working in Maccy D's and asking everyone if they "would like fries with that". If I see a chap wearing a combination of Crocs and a short-sleeved work shirt I may offer fashion advice.



No. Not a good look.

Wedding season is upon us and from now on until the autumn and beyond people everywhere are making commitments to each other and having whizz-bang parties to celebrate, which makes me happy.  As you know, my organs of opinion regarding clients' choice of colour, style and theme for their wedding have been surgically removed but entre nous, there are things that I just love and I thought that you may want to hear about them:

Civil Partnerships
Contrary to common perception, the very first civil partnership took place in a hospice in Sussex on 5th December 2005 where one partner was terminally ill - a sad but poignant commitment between two men who loved each other and which was conducted by the delightful Father John McCormack, whom I am privileged to know.  Since then, thousands of same-sex couples have cemented their relationship in this way and long may it continue.



"FJ", doing what he does best at a recent civil partnership

Our government is currently wobbling a bit over gay marriage but given that this is a natural next step, I expect to see this legislation passed in the next couple of years or so.  OK, I understand that this is controversial but since love doesn't discriminate, why should we?

Civil Ceremonies
Don't confuse these with civil partnerships, although of course a CP is a civil ceremony, if you see what I mean.  Did you know that the Marriages (Approved Premises) Regulations Act of 1995 (oddly, an ex boyfriend of mine was instrumental in creating this legislation - don't ask) allows marriages to take place in hotels, stately homes, civil halls etc without compromising the fundamental principles of English marriage law? Hey, is your life enhanced by this news?

What it means is that you can get married (and have a CP since 2005) at approved premises, in addition to a church or at a register office.  Where you can't get married is in your back garden, or in a tent, or any other temporary structure or on most forms of transport.

Why is this so cool?  Well it means that:

  • you can get married and have your reception in the same place
  • you don't have to organise extra transport
  • you can go a bit artistic with themes, colours and fancy styles
  • although there are legally required "words" during the ceremony, you can add extra vows, songs, poems, you name it.  Lovely.
  • you're still legally married!


What this also means, sadly is £ signs in the eyes of venue managers, but I will say no more on this for the time being.

PS: If you live in Brighton, you CAN get married at the Bandstand!  Result!



Flowers
My favourite aspect of any wedding, flowers are sooooo lovely and can transform a plain venue into something very special indeed.  The industry is very competitive, for every one of me there are 15 or so florists and not every one of them provides a good service so take your time to do your homework when selecting one or employ me to select an excellent range for you to choose from. Make sure that you see a portfolio and that you check and double-check delivery times and locations on your wedding day.  You have been warned!


Ah, lovely flaars

Pearls
Those who know me will acknowledge that I absolutely love pearls: they throw light onto your face and good quality ones last for years if you look after them properly. New funky styles mean that they're no longer jewellery that your granny wore. Also, they're uniquely feminine and suit a light-coloured wedding ensemble beautifully.  If you ask me nicely, I can be the "borrowed" element of your special day as I have quite a few lovely pieces - oooh I say.



love love love



Themed Tents
I guess I'll have to name-check the Arabian Tent Company here.  Based in Sussex, this amazing company hires tents and equally importantly, all the decorative drapes, innards and furniture to go with them and the colours are amazing.  If you're looking for the unusual, you could do a lot worse than give this company a call:

http://www.arabiantents.com/gallery_arabian.html?view=slideshow


Fairy Lights
I know - bizarre, but I just luuuurve these special twinkly lights that sit behind draping or get wrapped around beams; you can even get some that turn on and off randomly and even change colour - I know! Forgive me if you hate fairy lights, I promise you don't have to have them if you don't want to. :-(



Ooh, there's posh


Brighton
Yes, I know I know. A tad biased is what I am... but Brighton really is the wedding destination of choice for so many people and in my opinion if you're getting hitched here, make sure it's "iconic" Brighton with pics of you and your beloved with the beach in the background or the Pier, or even the Brighton Pavilion (you can get married at the Pavilion, too). And beyond that...

Sussex
Just 10 minutes' drive from Beckingham Towers and you're out into rolling hills and countryside, fabulous pubs (apparently!) and great open spaces for long walks before stuffing your face at a local hostelry.  Sussex also has terrific venues for weddings, far too numerous for me to outline here so give me a call if you 'd like me to short-list some for you.

So, that's it for now - there's a lot of stuff I love when it comes to weddings but if I carry on listing them you'll all lose the will to live.  There are also loads of aspects which I hate and loathe (greedy people mainly)...I may do a blog about this but Carter Ruck could chase me for libel so I'll have to talk in code or something.

On another note, watch out for some exciting news about a great new wedding venue in central Brighton - yours truly is involved!

If you'd like some help with your wedding or civil partnership, not necessarily involving any of the above, not even fairy lights, give Susan Beckingham a call on 07816 684 756.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the various resources of wedding requirements. These information will be useful for the engaged people. My close friend is planning his wedding with the help of wedding app to ease the wedding tension.

    ReplyDelete